Part I: Applying for IR/IRENI Beam Time
- The first step is to complete the application proposal form as specifically as possible. Any information left out may later jeopardize your allocated beam time. The proposal form is available in both [PDF] and [Word] formats and can be returned as an attachment via e-mail. If any changes must be made once the proposal has been submitted, please contact Director Joe Bisognano, the beam time application coordinator, as soon as possible.
- Next, principal investigators are notified if their proposal was accepted or denied, and a beam time schedule is updated on the SRC website. Note that IR/IRENI users typically receive as much as 5 days and up to 2 shifts per day of beam time at a time.
- Alternatively, researchers can also submit what is known as a "IR Rapid Request Form (RRF)" at any time in order to request up to 5 days and up to 2 shifts per day of beam time that have not been allocated. See the Beam Time Schedule to assess the availability of beam time. Users without an active proposal will have to pay following the fee structure.
Part II: Required After Receiving Beam Time
These requirements must be satisfied. Not fulfilling these requirements may result in loss of beam time.
- Purchase Order: Before you arrive at SRC for your beam time, a purchase order for the materials and supplies fee must be submitted to the SRC administration office. Please contact the office at email@example.com or 1-608-877-2000 for details.
- Experiment Form: Once your proposal is accepted this form must be submitted no later than one month prior to each scheduled visit. The Experiment Form asks you to provide the names and emails of everyone that will be participating in your experiment at the SRC, list any samples or chemicals you will be using, provide a list of equipment and, finally, describe your methods for handling and disposing of samples and chemicals. This form can be found [online] or as a [PDF]. (Note: if you are filling out a Rapid Request application, the Experiment Form is included).
- Chemical Safety: Contact the safety officer to make usage and storage arrangements for your chemicals. A Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for each chemical used in your experiment must also be provided. Please contact Ken Jacobs at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call, 608-877-2157.
- Radiation Safety Training Course: All personnel who will be coming to the SRC to participate in any experiments or to work in the Aladdin vault must complete the online Radiation Safety Course and submit the exam prior to their entering the Aladdin vault.
- Safety Orientation: Upon arriving at SRC, you will be required to take part in a safety orientation in person. Please contact the Safety Officer for details.