PGM Beamline Usage Policy
Policy Revised on 8/25/2004
Previous version posted 2/20/2004
The intent of this revised PGM A&B scheduling policy is to make the most productive use of this highly oversubscribed beamline.The primary User time will be scheduled in the normal manner with the conditions outlined below. Some portion of the available (see item 3 below) secondary User time may be scheduled, but with the majority being reserved for rapid response proposals.
- The primary User will be scheduled according to his/her beam time proposal on the line of their choice (A or B line).
- The primary User has beam from noon to midnight, and from 8 am to noon if there is a User Beam (this also includes Saturdays).
- The primary User may give a scientific justification in his/her proposal for requesting beam time from midnight to 8 am, which will be reviewed by the Program Advisory Committee (PAC). If this request is approved, there will be no secondary user. If this request has not been made or the request has not been granted, the other port of the PGM line is available for scheduling.
- If there is no Rapid Request one(1) week before the scheduled beam time, the primary user can make a written request for the beam time from midnight to 8am. Without such request, the other port will remain available for Rapid Requests from Users.
- If there are both primary and secondary Users, it is expected that both PI's will make a good faith effort to accommodate the space needs of the other. The agreement between the PIs will take place either during the scheduling process, or immediately after the schedule is released. The starting point is the bisector of the extended beam paths downstream from the final mirrors. Because of the offset in the mirror boxes, this favors the A line for space at the focus. See the note below. If the PI's can not reach accommodation, the Executive Director will be the final arbiter. If the Executive Director finds no accommodation is possible in spite of a good faith effort, the primary User is favored.
- The secondary User has beam from midnight to 8am. This beam may be 800MeV or 1GeV depending on the outcome of Monday's scheduling meeting.
- Other arrangements between the primary and secondary Users are allowed if both sides agree to those arrangements. As a courtesy, please inform the other User if you plan not to use the beam at a particular time so that the other User can use it.