SRC Undergraduate Research Scholarship (URS) Program
Due to uncertainties of future NSF funding, the 2011 URS Program has been cancelled.
The purpose of the SRC-URS program is to provide undergraduate students the opportunity to accompany their SRC User mentor to SRC during a quantum (3 weeks) where they can take part in research unique to the SRC facility.
Program objectives include:
- To seek to diversify the future pool of scientists by recruiting, when possible, underrepresented minorities and women.
- To allow talented undergraduates to experience research at SRC and attract them to, and prepare them for, careers in science.
- To extend research experiences to students with limited research opportunities and resources at their home institutions.
- To establish long-term relationships with participating students in order to assist and support them in pursuit of their educational and professional goals and to ensure a diverse user base for synchrotron-light-based science.
Undergraduates who have been recommended to the program by their SRC User mentor are eligible to apply and be accepted into the program. The program is currently limited to US citizens.
During the quantum at SRC, students will be required to participate in introductory seminars, a safety orientation, and a tour of the vault. Before leaving SRC, participants are required to submit a one-page summary of their experience as well as an abstract for the SRC Users’ meeting (if applicable) before leaving SRC.
The URS award includes a $1500 stipend, travel to Madison (up to $500), lodging at the SRC guest house (for up to 3 weeks), and a food stipend of $100.
Applying to the Program
Application materials include:
- A letter of commitment by the mentor sent directly to the program by the mentor. The letter should include a recommendation as well as an indication of who will be working with the applicant.
- A completed application form.
- A one page statement of interest written by the applicant.
- An unofficial transcript.
Deadlines for applying to the program are:
- May 1 for a quantum scheduled during July - December.
- Nov 1 for a quantum scheduled during January – June.
(Note: For Jan. to June 2011 applications will be accepted on a rolling basis).
Application materials can be sent to the program email (preferred) or through regular mail. If you don’t receive an acknowledgement of your submission, please contact program staff.
Applicants will be selected for the program based on the merit and completeness of their application materials and fit to the program objectives. Applicants will be informed as soon as possible of their status in the program.
Use the following to submit application materials or find out more information about the URS program:
URS Program Coordinator
3731 Schneider Dr
Stoughton, WI 53589